In early 2014 we had the idea of doing the ultimate adventure. That being visiting all 50 of the American states and by August 2015 we had made it a reality.
Our plan was to drive through all 48 of the lower states, then take a cruise up to Alaska and come home via Hawaii to complete the journey, and that is exactly what we did.
We set off on our adventure on May 12th, travelling in style in Business Class thanks to a frequently flyer points upgrade. Kicking things off in Anaheim, we rented an out there looking brown Kia Soul. Not our first choice, but one that turned out to be a great choice.
On our journey we tackled torrential rain, fought hurricane warnings, camped inside a tent surrounded by a pack of wolves, sweated it out in boiling hot desert and then froze is Alaska.
But, after 77 days on the road, on just about every terrain you can imagine as well as rotating between our tent and hotels, we managed to go through all 48 lower stats as planned.
Driving a total of 21,042km (or 13,075 miles) and averaging 273km’s per day.
No mean feat! It was one of the best times of our lives and now one that we will never forget thanks to this blog.
- States Visited: 50
- Days Driving: 77
- Total Distance: 21,042km
- Per Day Avg: 273km
- Nights Camped: 34
- Nights in a Cabin: 2
- Nights in Hotel: 46
- Nights at Sea: 7
- Airbnb Houses: 3
Our Journey – Day By Day
- Day 00: Preparation
- Day 01: Arriving in Luxury (Anaheim)
- Day 02: The Happiest Place on Earth (Disney Land)
- Day 03: Hertz and a very rainy day (San Diego)
- Day 04: Rain, Rain, Go Away (San Diego)
- Day 05: The Return to Vegas (Las Vegas)
- Day 06: A Magical Evening in Vegas (Las Vegas)
- Day 07: Welcome to Arizona (Phoenix)
- Day 08: Petrified in Arizona (Holbrook)
- Day 09: Spooky Windy Day in ABQ (Albuquerque)
- Day 10: A Very Green Texas (Amarillo)
- Day 11: A Recharge in OKC (Oklahoma City)
- Day 12: The Real Oklahoma Thunder (Oklahoma City)
- Day 13: Last Day in Oklahoma City (Oklahoma City)
- Day 14: Tornado Warnings in Arkansas (Hot Springs)
- Day 15: Snack, Crackle & Pop in Louisiana (Shreveport)
- Day 16: Sleepy Jackson (Jackson)
- Day 17: Historic Montgomery (Montgomery)
- Day 18: Off to the Beach in Sunny Florida (Panama City Beach)
- Day 19: Another Day in Paradise (Panama City Beach)
- Day 20: Peace & Quiet in Historic St Augustine (St Augustine)
- Day 21: Tybee Island Adventures (Savannah)
- Day 22: Savannah is Like a Box of Chocolates (Savannah)
- Day 23: Lemurs, More Rain and a Short Drive (Charleston)
- Day 24: Relaxation in Asheville (Asheville)
- Day 25: Country Music Capital of the World (Nashville)
- Day 26: A Trip Down Memory Lane (Nashville)
- Day 27: Wet and Wild in Santa Clause (Rockport)
- Day 28: Mammoth Caves, Kentucky (Lexington)
- Day 29: Keeneland The Home of Horse Racing (Lexington)
- Day 29: We’re Going to the NBA Finals (Akron, Day 29 cont.)
- Day 30: Charleston, West Virginia (Charleston)
- Day 31: Old Friends and New Friends in Virginia (Goochland)
- Day 32: A Long Day in Traffic (Cherry Hill Park)
- Day 33: A Tour Through Washington DC (Cherry Hill Park)
- Day 34: A Day at the Museums (Cherry Hill Park)
- Day 35: Off To Philly! (Philadelphia)
- Day 36: A Day Touring Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
- Day 37: New York, New York! (New York City)
- Day 38: We Met Jason Alexander! (New York City)
- Day 39: Lady Liberty (New York City)
- Day 40: The Book Of Mormon (New York City)
- Day 41: Goodbye New York, Hello Connecticut (Southington)
- Day 42: Witches In Salem (Salem)
- Day 43: Four States in One Day (White River Junction)
- Day 44: Lake George and a Bouncy Ball (Lake George)
- Day 45: Niagara Falls USA Style (Niagara Falls)
- Day 46: A Return to Cleveland (Cleveland)
- Day 47: Rock N’ Roll and Some Deja Vu (Cleveland)
- Day 48: Shawshank and a Change of Plans (South Bend)
- Day 49: A Soggy South Haven (South Haven)
- Day 50: Day One in the Windy City (Chicago)
- Day 51: Day Two in the Windy City (Chicago)
- Day 52: Day Three in the Windy City (Chicago)
- Day 53: A Magical Night in Wisconsin (Wisconsin Dells)
- Day 54: July 4th Celebrations in Wisconsin (Wisconsin Dells)
- Day 55: Noah’s Ark Waterpark (Wisconsin Dells)
- Day 56: Minneapolis The Land of 12,000 Lakes (Minneapolis)
- Day 57: Bikes and Baseball (Minneapolis)
- Day 58: Another Change of Plans in Minnesota (Forest City)
- Day 59: Rush in Kansas City (Kansas City)
- Day 60: A Lazy Day in Kansas City (Kansas City)
- Day 61: A Looooong Drive to Colorado (Buena Vista)
- Day 62: White Water Rafting in Colorado (Buena Vista)
- Day 63: Day Two on the River (Buena Vista)
- Day 64: A Stopover in Denver (Denver)
- Day 65: A Scenic Drive and Epic Sunset in SD (Badlands NP)
- Day 66: Badlands and Mount Rushmore in SD (Rapid City)
- Day 67: Hiking, Sunsets and Stargazing in ND (Theodore Roosevelt NP)
- Day 68: Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana (Garryowen)
- Day 69: The Journey to Yellowstone (Yellowstone)
- Day 70: A Birthday in Yellowstone (Yellowstone)
- Day 71: Yellowstone Day Three With a Lot of Roadworks (Yellowstone)
- Day 72: Goodbye Yellowstone, Hello Craters of the Moon (Arco)
- Day 73: Back to Civilisation in Utah (Salt Lake City)
- Day 74: Chilling Out in Salt Lake City (Salt Lake City)
- Day 75: Farmers and Cowboys in Utah (Salt Lake City)
- Day 76: Our Last Night Camping (Boise)
- Day 77: Last Night Camping, Onward to Portland (Portland)
- Day 78: Aerosmith, Doughnuts and the Zoo (Portland)
- Day 79: Last Long Drive. Seattle Bound! (Seattle)
- Day 80: Last Full Day in the Lower 48 (Seattle)
- Day 81: Cruising to Alaska (At Sea)
- Day 82: Relax, Relax, Relax at Sea (At Sea)
- Day 83: Ketchikan, Alaska (Ketchikan)
- Day 84: This Is Tracey’s Arm. And Juneau (Juneau)
- Day 85: Skagway, Alaska (Skagway)
- Day 86: A Very Hypnotic Day at Sea (At Sea)
- Day 87: Canada Bound for our Last Day at Sea (Victoria)
- Day 88: Hawaii Marks Our 50th State (Honolulu)
- Day 89: Beach, Pools and Lagoons (Honolulu)
- Day 90: A Loooong Day of Relaxation by the Water (Honolulu)
- Day 91: Roadtrippin’ Around Hawaii (Honolulu)
- Day 92: Goodbye America (Melbourne)
Camping & Car
The most unique part of our trip was being able to camp in different spots with our kickass popup tent that took 2 seconds to put up. It made for a cheap and fun way to tour the country.
But the first month or so we had a lot of rain which meant we either upgraded to a little wooden cabin, or got ourselves a hotel. But overall it wasn’t too bad. We camped for 34 nights in our trusty little tent and it was as good as gold. It even survived hurricane type wins in Albuquerque!
As for the car, we were given a brown Kia Soul which looked pretty funky and wasn’t our first choice, but after a few days we absolutely loved it. We put the back seats down and it had quite a lot of room, enough to handle our tent, two suitcases and whatever else we had.
It took us 21,042km across all different types of terrains so we were pretty sad to leave it behind in Seattle. Our favourite campsites were probably Rivers End Campground in Savannah, or the campsite we had near Buena Vista out in the middle of nowhere by the river on our rafting trip.
Sports & Concerts
Another thing we love when going on holidays is going to sports. We saw our fair share of live sports this time around too, as well as some awesome concerts.
We were lucky enough to see Game 3 of the NBA Finals in Cleveland when they beat the Golden State Warriors. It was the game where Matty Dellavadova went off tap and put himself on the map. It’ll be hard to beat that experience.
Also we saw a few baseball games including the LA Angels taking on Colorado, New York Yankees vs Detroit, San Diego vs Washington and Minnesota vs Baltimore. We also took in an MLS match as well where we watched Real Salt Lake play Kansas City.
As for the concerts, we saw Rush on their R40 Tour. It does not get much bigger than a Rush gig and we saw them play songs all throughout their history for over 3.5hrs. We now know why they are known as rock Gods. In Portland we also got to see Aerosmith and they rocked the house.